We love to grill! In the Chicago area our summers are short and sweet, so once the weather turns we immediately dust off the old grill and get cooking. The best part for me about grilling is it leaves a clean kitchen and easy clean-up!
This recipe is new for me, but my husband and I fell in love instantly. I had never grilled sweet potatoes before and I feel like I've been missing out! The smoky flavor from the grill adds a whole new dimension and to my surprise they cooked up quick and the texture was perfect. Add creamy avocado, black beans, corn, bell peppers, some spices and lime juice and you have a satisfying, hearty, healthy meal.
The best way to grill the potatoes is to use a grill tray to ensure the slices don't fall between the grates of your grill.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 8 tablespoon olive oil (4 for dressing the potatoes and 4 for finishing the salad)
- 1 bag frozen corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 red pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 avocados, pit and skin removed, chopped
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 tbsp. Mexican seasoning
- 1-2 dashes chipotle powder or cayenne powder (optional to give it some kick!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pre-heat your grill. Slice the sweet potatoes and brush with a mix of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the potatoes over medium-high heat until they can easily be pierced with a fork (about 6-8 minutes each side).
2. In a large bowl, add the corn, black beans, red pepper, green onions, cilantro, and avocados. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, slice the rounds into 1 inch pieces and add them to the bowl. Add the lime juice, Mexican seasoning, Chipotle (if using), 4 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Add more seasoning if necessary.
3. Eat and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Audrey's Apron